Thursday, May 16, 2013

So I pulled the axles for new bearings.  I was able to reproduce the noise for a garage, they pulled a wheel and said it was the bearings.  $400 for the job.  I declined, tipped the guy $20 when he said there was no charge and left. 



I ordered the bearings and seals on Amazon.
The seal that worked was Timken 712146 Seal
And the bearing was A9



I sand blasted the axles and sent them off to a shop to have the bearings cut off and new ones pressed on.











While the axles were out I cleaned and painted the backing plates. Installed new brake shoes, spring kit and wheel cylinder.  Some springs did not fit and I realized I the kit was incorrect. I got the right kit but didn't take a picture of it completed.

After


Before


The seal in my hand is what the correct seal should look like.  The other seal causes the axle to be loose and have too much in/out play.

The bearings and seals were about $45 shipped. Pressing was about $30/ side.  Total investment was about$125 including spring kit and shoes.  (I had wheel cylinders sitting on my shelf)

Back on the ground....And I still have the noise I was trying to fix!!!  So aggravating.

I even switched the brake drums from side to side, filed the sharp edges of the brake shoes and rotated the tires front to back... the noise is still there.

Glad I didn't pay $400 for bearings!

No comments:

Post a Comment